Jump to navigationJump to search
Student Success introduces essential knowledge and skills for students new to the college learning experience, including time management, social interaction, learning strategies, study skills, critical thinking, information literacy, health and safety, finances, and career exploration.
This course comprises 11 lessons covering student success. Each lesson includes a combination of free Lumen Learning readings, YouTube videos, and hands-on learning activities to engage both on-campus and online students.
This course has different names at different institutions, including First-Year Experience, First-Year Seminar, Freshman Seminar, and College Success. The ultimate goal for each of these is having successful students. That goal is the focus of this course.
This entire Wikiversity course can be downloaded in book form by selecting Download Learning Guide in the sidebar. The corresponding Lumen Learning reading collection can be downloaded in book form by selecting Download Reading Guide.
This is an introductory college-level course. No previous experience is necessary.
- Utilize support services available in the college environment to meet students' personal and academic needs.
- Demonstrate responsible academic behaviors appropriate to intellectual engagement, such as the application of active learning strategies.
- Create a personal development plan which includes academic and career goals and explores pathways for completion.
- Interconnect course concepts and experiences (personal, campus, or community) in ways that produce new knowledge or skills.
- Identify and evaluate issues, problems, positions, and supporting evidence through an objective critical thinking process.
- Research print and electronic sources, assess their credibility, and support a position using appropriate documentation.
- Articulate inter-cultural ideologies, perspectives, and contributions that people of diverse backgrounds bring to a multicultural world.
- Time Management
- Social Interaction
- Learning Strategies
- Study Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Information Literacy
- Health and Safety
- Career Exploration
- ↑ Wikipedia: The First-Year Experience Program
- ↑ CurricuNET: Harper College FYS 101 Course Outline