Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Use the advanced search option if available. This gives you more power to shape your search.
- Put quotes around phrases - "house of representatives," "bill of rights," etc. This tells the computer to search for items containing that exact set of words in that order.
Use the links below to access our catalog and eBook collections.
The databases listed in this Research Guide are available only to Truckee Meadows Community College students, faculty and staff. You will need your TMCC credentials (Username and Password) to access them off-campus.
- The library catalog (discovery system) shows you what physical books the library owns and where they are. It also find thousands of other materials, including eBooks and journal articles. Use the Advanced Search mode to find specific titles.
- Books about U.S, politics are mostly in the call numbers E and JK.
- Books about the Constitution of the United States are mostly in call number KF.
- EBSCO eBooks has thousands of political science books. See the eBooks of Interest in the right-hand column or search the collection for a specific topic.
- Ebook Central has just over 1,000 political science titles. See the eBooks of Interest in the right-hand column for the best eBooks about U.S. Government.
Some relevant library catalog subject headings:
eBooks of Interest
American Politics and Society by
Publication Date: 2013-04-01
Examines "trends in American politics and society through explanation, analyses, and interpretations of government processes."
Checks and Balances
Publication Date: 2005-07-15
Presents "information about the inner workings of the federal government."
Congress A to Z by
Publication Date: 2014-03-14
"Provides ready-reference insight into the national legislature, its organization, processes, personalities, major legislation, and history
The Electoral College by
Publication Date: 2011-10-01
"Examines the history of the electoral college, contemporary analysis and possible reform proposals."
The Man in the White House by
Publication Date: 1970-10-01
A classic book that describes the presidency. Note that it was published well before Watergate and the modern presidential era.
The Unitary Executive and the Modern Presidency by
Publication Date: 2010-04-07
The Unitary Executive and the Modern Presidency examines how the unitary executive theory became a recognized constitutional theory of presidential authority, how it has evolved, how it has been employed by presidents of both parties, and how its use has affected and been affected by U.S. politics.
The United States Congress by
Publication Date: 2003-04-17
Examines the workings of congress, with a focus on the Republican-dominated period of the 1990s.