Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The databases listed in this Research Guide are available only to Truckee Meadows Community College students, faculty and staff. You will need your TMCC credentials (Username and Password) to access them off-campus.
- The digital books below are in the Gale Virtual Reference Library in the Nation and World section.
- If you know the name of a culture, you can type it in the search box on the right side of the screen.
- If you have a country in mind and need to find cultures within, you can look in the eBook index and skim through the List of Cultures by Country.
- Digital Book Collections - search these for your culture
- eHRAF - this is a collection of cultural data from many sources, including encyclopedias, books, journal articles, and conference papers.
Database Search Tutorials
Searching for Information about Cultures in Digital Reference Books
Physical Library Books
- Search the Library Catalog for books about your culture. The best search is in the Library Catalog scope for the culture name (dinka, yanomamo, and also any ethnonyms your group may have). This will find physical and eBooks.
- The library also has dozens of ethnographies, which may cover your chosen culture. They are located in the Reserves area at the Circulation Desk, under ANTH 201. You may find one of these in a book catalog search.
Reference Books of Interest